Sunday, March 4, 2018

10 things to consider when choosing a preschool

When Charlotte was 2 years old, I've sorta decided to send her to a preschool when she turns 3. That's because I would rather pay more or less the same amount for a preschool program (with after school childcare service) than just a full-day childcare service.

I've semi-decided to send her to a kindie located just 5 minutes driving distance away from my house. But being a careful mom, I didn't wanna just send her there without doing any research and explore other opportunity, and then regret my decision later (cause registration fee and all are not cheap. It's usually not refundable, too). So I started asking around and visiting kindies since September of 2017.

Here are the 10 things I'd take into consideration when choosing a preschool for Charlotte-

1. Location

 Ideally, a preschool that is located in your own neighbourhood for easy drop off and pick-up. As a working mother, I need all the time I could have to get more things done eg. reaching the office early. Especially as a teacher myself, I would rather use the time I have to prepare for my lessons than to stuck in a traffic jam.

2. Communication

Before every school visit, I scheduled a 1-to-1 meeting with the principal to clarify all my doubts such as
◘ The breakdown on registration, miscellaneous and school fees
◘ Lesson/ program provided in school
◘ Daily schedule
◘ Provision for snack time and lunch time
◘ Class size for each age group
◘ Teacher-student ratio for each age group
◘ The rate of teacher's turn over
◘ How does the school react to certain scenarios (eg. when the child is sick or misconducts)

I appreciate schools that are as transparent as possible to ensure that what I want for my child (eg. healthy meals, assigned homework at a later age, etc.) is provided.

Now that Charlotte is attending school already, I make it a point to talk to the class teacher at least once a week to get an update on her progress. It really puts my heart at ease knowing that she's doing well in school.

3. Teacher-Student ratios

I found this on the MOE website. Putting it here for your reference :)

4. Teacher Turnover Rate

Preschools with high staff turnover rates mean the staff are unhappy and there is something not necessarily apparent that is wrong, whether it is because the staff are under paid, the center is managed poorly or the center is understaffed.

5. Discipline Policy

What type of system do they use when there is a problem? Positive reinforcement? Time out ? I'd check if the preschool uses discipline methods that I approve of. I definitely disapprove of physical punishment and shaming. And I appreciate communication from the teacher if my child(ren) would ever misconduct as I want to talk about it with my child(ren). I might also carry out some punishment at home to reinforce the seriousness of a misbehavior.

6. Food

I AM selective about what my children eat. Hence, I look into what kinds of foods are served to make sure the menu is consistent with my children's health and nutritional needs. I also make known to the principal and teacher not to give my children junk food. If there's any party pack that contains tidbits, I would like my children to bring them home (so that I can hide them away and buat dunno lol).

7. Environment

Check out the classrooms. I'd like to see children’s art pieces adorn the walls. Are there educational posters mounted at your child’s eye level?

Watch how the teachers interact with the kids ― do they talk at them? Do they bark orders at them? Or do they come down to the child’s level, make eye contact and talk to the child?

What kinds of playthings are available around the school? Are there outdoor play facilities? These give an indication as to how much emphasis the preschool places on play

8. Infrastructure

Cleanliness, safety and spaciousness are really important to me. I would find out what child safety measures and precautions the preschool has put in place. For instance, does the school do daily temperature checks? What happens if a child has a suspected contagious illness like HFMD? Where are the first-aid kits in the preschool located, and are there preschool staff who are trained in basic first aid and CPR? Hence, making school visits is a must for me to give me an insight into the school’s level of hygiene, whether the premises are child safe, and how daily meals are prepared. If your child has allergies, it is a good idea to find out how the school practises food safety.

9. Teaching methods

The two common ones that some Malaysia preschools may subscribe to:

* The Montessori method - Besides kids getting a hands-on approach to learning, the method believes that each child learns at his or her own pace (no comparing to the other kids).

* Waldorf approach - A structured approach to play-based learning. Your child spends certain days of the week doing things like baking, role-playing and gardening. It emphasises no screen-time and opts for natural wooden toys instead of battery-operated ones to inspire creative thinking.

I do not have a preferred method or approach because the most important thing to me is that my kids enjoy learning. The kindy Charlotte is attending adopts the Montessori method for kids age 3 to 5 and introduces the primary classroom method at age 6 to prepare them for primary school. I am totally fine with that, as long as the teachers know what they are doing and it's for the benefit of the children.

10. Budget

The cost of preschool in Malaysia can vary anywhere between RM300 a month to over RM1000 a month, so pick something that is within your price range. Charlotte's signed up for Extended Day Program where she gets to eat her lunch, have her nap and stays till 4pm. It cost rm600+ monthly, which is within my budget range.

My happie little school-goer :)

So far, Charlotte looks forward to go to school everyday! Even on weekends! She'd wake up and ask me "You want (to wear) school uniform? You want to see Teacher Pauline?" hahahahaha cause that's what I would ask her every school-day. So if I don't ask, she'd ask me back lol. And I must say, I am really really glad that she enjoys school.



0 comments:

Post a Comment