Friday, March 16, 2018

How To Treat Cradle Cap



Emmett developed flaky, dry skin that looks like dandruff when he was about 2 months old. It is better known as cradle cap. Doctors call it infantile seborrheic dermatitis, and it's very common.

Cradle cap isn't cute, but it's harmless and not contagious. It shows up most often in the first few months of life and usually clears up on its own in about six to 12 months – although some children have it for longer.

Charlotte didn't have it so it's very new to me when I first see it on his scalp. It probably didn't bother him but it certainly bothered me as it's so tempting to pick at the scaly patches on his head. And I did hahaha sorry Emmett.

After a(short)while I figure it's really not so good to do so and I went to look for remedies online. It worked really well and went off after 2 rounds of application so I'm gonna share it here, too.

You only need 2 things:


Baby oil and a small comb.

Some said you can use coconut oil. But since I already have a bottle of baby oil, I might as well use it.

Instruction:


1 ❤ Rub a small amount of oil on your baby's scalp and leave it on for about 15 minutes. I did it when he was asleep in the carrier so he wasn't moving around a lot and it made the whole process smooth and easy.


2 ❤ Gently comb out the flakes with a fine-tooth comb or brush them out with a soft brush.

3 ❤ Wash your baby's scalp with a gentle baby shampoo. You do not want to leave oil on your baby's head, which could clog the pores and cause the flakes to stick.


The end result- nice and clean scalp.

The flakes came back after a week and I redid the steps again to clear them off. It's gone for good after 2 weeks.

So there you have it. If your baby has cradle cap, hope this remedy helps you, too :)

p/s - Talk with your baby's doctor if the cradle cap is severe as it could be caused by other factor such as yeast infection.

1 comment:

  1. Apply a small amount of oil or petroleum jelly to the baby's scalp before washing it to help soften the scales and make them easier to remove.
    cradle cap shampoo

    ReplyDelete