Friday, December 28, 2018

My 2018 In Review

I reviewed my 2017 by the end of Jan 2018 wtf hahaha. It's on the 28th of Jan, 2018, to be exact. So as to not to repeat it again, Imma pen down my 2018 in review before the year ends.

Everything started out pretty well this year. With a new job and a few exciting plans in sight, 2018 seems to be promising. I did have a lot of great moments and good times of course, but I guess it's only normal for the road to be a little bumpy along the way before reaching the end.

So this year, what happened?


1. Charlotte started attending kindergarten


I have to say, I am so so so proud of her and her progress this year. From dashing into her classroom without looking back on her first day of school to her nagging she wants to go to school every. single. day. This girl is just simply amazing. She has also learned a lot and her ability to learn amazed me. During teacher-parents-meeting, the teacher commented that she's a bright and independent student. I could not be any prouder.

2. I became one of Dove DermaSeries Ambassadors


Somewhere early this year, I stumbled upon a post on Facebook. The poster was posting on behalf on her undisclosed client, looking for "real women with real skin problem". I submitted a few pictures of my right hand with cracked skin. A few weeks later, I was called for casting and was being interviewed. The next thing I know, I was shortlisted as one of the ambassadors for Dove's new product - Dove DermaSeries. You can read more here.

It was definitely an unforgettable experience, doing photo shoots and video ad. It gave me a taste of what goes behind the scene of a short 1 minute video. There's definitely a lot of hard work just to catch that one photo and that few scenes that made the cut into the video. You can watch the ad here.

3. I became a breastfeeding counselor.


I remember when I started breastfeeding as a new mom, I hit every corner and suffered for 60 days. Luckily, "Grit" is my middle name wtf. And thanks to Gina, I got every help I ever needed. After I got it right, it has been a smooth-sailing journey ever since. If only I could be more resourceful and understand the importance of attending a breastfeeding course before the baby arrives, that sorrowful 60 days would not even happened. So when Gina announced the opening of TBAN Breastfeeding Counselor Course, I quickly sign myself up.

I've completed the course and all the compulsory assignments and I'm happy to say that I'm now a certified TBAN Breastfeeding Counselor.




4. I went on 2 (semi) solo vacations.


Not entirely solo la but was rather just with Emmett, without Charlotte and the husband. The first trip was to Pulau Redang to surprise Peggy and to celebrate her engagement. It was really just a surprise trip as we were there for only 2 days 1 night. It didn't went really well for me because Emmett was down with RSV. But the surprise was successful so ok la mission accomplished. The second one was with Peggy and Joan to Bangkok. I blogged about it here → Part 1, Part 2 & Part 3.

I am honestly really grateful to my husband for allowing me to do these 2 semi-solo trips. These trips gave me a little breather, though still doing mummy duty.

5. Emmett was admitted to hospital. Twice!


Like I said, he was already not feeling well before we headed to Pulau Redang. Turns out he contacted RSV. I blogged about our first encounter here. The second time was in October due to accute bronchiolitis. Sigh what to do. Both Charlotte and Emmett have weak lungs just like me. Emmett had it worse than Charlotte, though. I got better from all the respiratory sickness around 9~10 years old so the doctor said that my kids will probably be the same. I hope they grow out of it sooner, though.

6. I learned how to put my foot down and walk away from unfair circumstances.


You see, I had 2 young adult students who've been attending my class for close to 3 years. I charged them below market rate and I've not increase my fee throughout the time they engage me. Lately, I felt being taken for granted. They would cancel class without prior notice and expect replacement. Let me show you an example.

Last minute cancel class and ask for replacement without seeking for my permission or at least discuss with me first. I was mad because it's not the first time they've done so.

To be fair, I did not implement on them what I'd usually do when students cancel class and I've been offering replacement out of courtesy because when they first came to me, they were only 19 and they looked keen in learning as they also pay out of their own pocket. So they thought they're entitled to a replacement for every class they cancel. Once, they accumulated 4 absences, and decided among themselves to not pay me the following month's fee as my compensation for them without discussing with me.

I got so so upset and told them off, questioning their courtesy and if they've ever thought of the bills I need to pay for my kids.

What happened last week ticked me off and I decided that enough is enough.

After almost 3 years, their England is still Error 404 sigh.

They told me that they decided to go to a learning center that provides "linguistic examination and certificate" to continue learning English. I gladly let them go.

Best of luck to them.

7. I've learned to accept and do what I feel is comfortable for myself.


For the longest time, I've been shadowed by this huge green monster named Jealousy. I would be envious when I see people going on trips, afford to buy expensive things, and do simple things that I myself wish to do, like eating nice Japanese food (read: sashimi and burnt cheesecake). Somehow this year, I sorta kinda made peace with it and feel less bad about myself. Maybe it's because as a mother of 2, I don't have time for that kind of shitty feelings anymore. Or maybe, I have a couple of goals to hit in 2019 and 2020, hence, I've shifted my focus to somewhere else. I do still feel it when that monster is trying to take over me but the feeling is more subtle now. Whatever it is, I hope to be fully at peace with myself. I'll take it easy, one day at a time.

Overall, 2018 has been pretty good. I'm looking forward to 2019 already!

0 comments:

Post a Comment