Thursday, March 12, 2020

Peace in the midst of a pandemic

I've lost count of the latest number of identified Covid-19 patients in Malaysia. But from the news, it seems that the confirmed ones are surrounding the place I stay and often go to. It also seems that the number will potentially multiply in the upcoming days as a few of the confirmed cases had been moving around in crowded places prior to being diagnosed. 

Naturally (and unfortunately), I panic. I bought extra canned food, dried food, detergents and toiletries when I visited the supermarket. I would lug face masks for my husband, too, but I couldn't get hold of any since 2 months ago. I also stored up oil and snacks, you know, just in case.

I wouldn't say that I went into panic-buying because the goods bought could last us maximum 2 weeks. But I did bought a little bit more than usual.

**

A parent has come in contact with a confirmed Covid-19 patient. The parent has responsibly took the initiative to inform the school immediately and quarantine at home with the whole family. The student in question was identified by MOH as the secondary contact. A memo was sent out to parents immediately by end of the day. 

However, it was somehow leaked to the press and the news broke in Chinapress the next day. Soon, parents kept calling the school to demand an explanation even though nothing was taken out of context from the memo. And out of desperation, some parents chose not to send the children to school until the family in question produce a medical report stating that they are free from the virus even though the school assured that they're been carrying out sanitizing job at least 2 to 3 times diligently on a daily basis since coming back from Chinese New Year. 

The family has come to an end of their 14 days quarantine and they're still in good spirits. 

** 

In the midst of this global pandemic, we need peace and assurance to carry on with life. However, even if I purchase all the groceries I could get, will I not be anxious and restless? If we keep our children away from schools, gatherings and all other crowded places, will we find peace in our hearts as we are confined at home?

And then I question myself - Why do I let chaos influence me? 

An inner voice shouted back at me that all these earthly materials are only temporary. However, eternal peace can be found in our Lord Jesus Christ.

Again and again, the bible reminded us that if we ask God, He promises us His peace.

1 Peter 5:7 - Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.
Psalm 29:11 - The LORD gives his people strength. The LORD blesses them with peace.
Isaiah 26:3 - You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!
John 16:33 - I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world

May this be a reminder to myself and everyone who reads this that in this climate of uncertainty and fear, only in Him will we find eternal peace.


0 comments:

Post a Comment